KNOWLE LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
The five and a half mile stretch of the Grand Union Canal which winds through Knowle forms part of the parish boundary. Along the route are a number of simple but attractive bridges, which blend well with the Warwickshire countryside. The bridge at Grove Farm was originally a swing bridge, replaced in 1933. Kixley Lane Bridge is particularly attractive.
The five locks at Kenilworth Road are quite dramatic as they drop forty two feet in a short distance and form a marked feature of the landscape. The two lock cottages still exist, although Top Lock Cottage is a 1960s replacement. There used to be a steam pumping station with a tall chimney, which was demolished in 1933. There were several wharves, mostly handling coal and lime.
Today the canal is used primarily for leisure purposes, used by walkers, anglers, cyclists and of course, boaters. There are strings of boats moored between Kenilworth Road and Heronfield. There is a service point at Kenilworth Road wharf, now used by a thriving boat fitter's yard. Organised trips are run from Copt Heath Wharf. Along the towpath is a string of pubs, originally provided for the ‘navvies’ who built the canal, and now attractive eating places. The towpath also provides a habitat for many plants, animals, insects and birds to flourish. Knowle is lucky to have such an attractive facility on its doorstep.
Looking towards Kixley Lane bridge, with the remains of a winding hole, where boats could turn round, on the left.
Knowle Hall Wharf, 2007, where there is now a thriving boat builder’s yard.
The Kings Arms in 1979, one of several pubs built along the canal for the benefit of boatmen.
Boats moored near the Black Boy.
Above: Looking down Knowle’s flight of five locks.
Right: the old chimney (demolished 1933)
|The Guild House|
|The Red Lion|
|Paterson Court (Old School)|
|Milverton Farm (Petrol Station)|
|Kixley Lane Cottages|
|Far End & The Cottage|
|Milverton House & Milverton Crescent|
|Berrow Cottage Homes|
|Knowle Library (Chester House)|
|Greswolde Arms Hotel|
|Grimshaw Hall 1560 - 1765|
|Grimshaw Hall After 1765|
|Malthouse Row (Nos 19 to 25)|
|The Wilson Arms|
|Knowle Lodge (Knowle Surgery)|
|The Olde House|
|Knowle Picture Playhouse (Johnsons Cars)|