KNOWLE LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
In the 16th and 17th centuries Knowle developed northwards along High Street from Kenilworth Road and The Square. Originally it comprised a line of straggling cottages with mellow brickwork and crooked roofs winding through Knowle.
Knowle Library is the oldest building in High Street, the south end dating from about
1400. Other timbered-
During the 19th century many of the cottages became shops, but their fabric remained largely intact and the general ambience of the street scene remained unchanged. A jumble of cottages near The Square was replaced in the 1840s by brick built houses, demolished in their turn in the 1960s. Redevelopment in the 1960s saw many cottages demolished to make way for modern blocks of shops and a new precinct. All but one of the remaining cottages have now been converted to shops and offices, some left as just a shell. Greville Court and Brisker Court are both more recent attractive developments. High Street is still a village street, where one can meet acquaintances and stop for a chat.
High Street looking north,1905. The bakery (with the rendered frontage, then a private house) is on the right.
Looking south c. 1910, with the Greswolde Hotel on the left and timber-
|The Guild House|
|The Red Lion|
|Paterson Court (Old School)|
|Milverton Farm (Petrol Station)|
|Kixley Lane Cottages|
|Far End & The Cottage|
|Milverton House & Milverton Crescent|
|Berrow Cottage Homes|
|Knowle Library (Chester House)|
|Greswolde Arms Hotel|
|Grimshaw Hall 1560 - 1765|
|Grimshaw Hall After 1765|
|Malthouse Row (Nos 19 to 25)|
|The Wilson Arms|
|Knowle Lodge (Knowle Surgery)|
|The Olde House|
|Knowle Picture Playhouse (Johnsons Cars)|