Top of Page

Artillery Cottages

Nos 1587 to 1591 Warwick Road

Artillery Cottages lie between two Victorian terraces below the Wilson Arms.  The upper cottage was built about 1600 and is a rare Midland example of a 'long house' - built on a slope with people living in the upper end and animals in the lower end.  The lower cottage  was added about 1800; they were all restored in 1971.  The three cottages originally had separate names: the bottom one was called Rose Cottage, the middle one Woodbine Cottage and the top one Artillery Cottage, so named because it was occupied by a gunner in the 19th century.  At a later date the whole row became known as Artillery Cottages.  They were restored in 1971.

Artillery Cottages, c.1910, looking down the hill with a Victorian terrace beyond.

Looking up the hill in 1896, with Artillery Cottages on the left.  The cottage beyond was replaced by the present Victorian terrace c. 1900.