Eastcote Ford

Eastcote Ford is about a mile from the village.  It was not bridged until 1924 and could be a raging torrent and very dangerous in the winter.  This was the ford villagers had to cross on foot to reach their parish church at Hampton-in-Arden until the church was built in 1403.  In the mid  14th century the Rivver Blythe at this point was known as Caldeford Brok - the 'cold ford’; there was a mill nearby.

In good weather the ford looks innocent, but it was hazardous and extremely dangerous in winter: It was not bridged until 1924; until recently there were those who could remember people drowning here.  Now it is hardly noticed as one drives across the bridge.

Top of Page

Again looking towards Hampton.  The postcard caption (bottom right) reads Coldford.

Looking towards Hampton, looking innocent, 1915