KNOWLE LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
The Olde House
The Olde House is a 16th century timber-
In 1816 the farm was owned and occupied by John Cotterrell, one of a local farming family, associated primarily with Rotten Row. By 1841 it had passed to Dr. John Kimbell, had been divided into three and had ceased to be a working farm.. At the rear, a part of the building at right angles to the frontage could well have become a separate dwelling, referred to as the ‘cottage at the end’ by one local resident. Subsequently the house was bought by Mr. Toghill (“Toggie”), a manufacturing jeweller in Birmingham, whose housekeeper, Mrs. Knight, had a black poodle. Mr. Toghill, who is still well remembered today, was here from 1938 until 1965.
By 1888 Mr. H. C. Wilson had a wheelwright's and blacksmith's shop in the outbuildings near the corner. By 1904 he had diversified into bicycles and turned more of the barn into a cycle workshop, where he remained until 1932. The outbuildings were redeveloped about 1910 and again in the 1930s. A photograph taken just afterwards shows a building with a low roof and what appears to be a barn door leading to the yard at the rear. Its design suggests that it could have been part of the original outbuildings, which were demolished in 1967, when the corner was redeveloped again.
In 1966 the house became Sylvester's antiques dealer’s, followed in 1970 by Phillips
Fine Art Auctioneers, who added a showroom at the back, which covered the remaining
external timbering. It has, however, been preserved as an internal feature. Upstairs,
no timbering is visible: at one time it was in use as a flat -
The Olde House in Mr.Toghill’s time.
The corner showing the barns, with the edge of the end of the Olde House on the extreme left.
The Olde House in 2009.
Interior timbering, 2009.
The cottage at the rear, at right angles to the frontage. The poodle belonged to Mr. Toghill’s housekeeper.
|The Guild House|
|The Red Lion|
|Paterson Court (Old School)|
|Milverton Farm (Petrol Station)|
|Kixley Lane Cottages|
|Far End & The Cottage|
|Milverton House & Milverton Crescent|
|Berrow Cottage Homes|
|Knowle Library (Chester House)|
|Greswolde Arms Hotel|
|Grimshaw Hall 1560 - 1765|
|Grimshaw Hall After 1765|
|Malthouse Row (Nos 19 to 25)|
|The Wilson Arms|
|Knowle Lodge (Knowle Surgery)|
|The Olde House|
|Knowle Picture Playhouse (Johnsons Cars)|